Wednesday, October 22, 2014

More Sharks!

I have been extremely lazy today, like uncharacteristically lazy. It's Wednesday, so I'm done class by 11am and have nothing to do until American Horror Story at 10, maybe Modern Family at 9 depending on my mood. I figured- let's blog again! But, I had no idea what to talk about... until I scrolled through Hollywood Reporter (I am such a good TV kid) and saw that ABC ORDERED A SHARK TANK SPIN OFF. I obviously tweeted about it immediately after and now I'm blogging. I am so not 2000 and late, Fergi. 

I watched what felt like 50000 episodes of Shark Tank this weekend during fall break, so this news is especially exciting and timely. My parents like it, I like it, and it's not going to make anyone feel weird afterwards like Law and Order SVU does to my parents. Plus, the concept is brilliant. Let's have all these rich people who made their own money through their own hard work listen to these creative people tirelessly pitch their company or product and then not only give them advice that's actually applicable but (here's the kicker) they can choose to invest THEIR OWN HARD EARNED CASH in these Joe and Suzys from Middle America. It's basically America and patriotism and the American dream wrapped into one wonderful show. 

The show has been a pretty big success story for ABC too. It got shuffled around to different timeslots, but it has since found it's home on Friday nights. And it's been kicking it since, bringing in over 7 million viewers each episode last season. The Live+7 ratings almost hit 8 million. I watch it mostly when it reruns on CNBC, but still. 

Each episode, they include a snap-in that features a product or company from a previous episode. I forget what they call it, but it's basically a "where are they now" type of thing. Most of the time, it's my favorite part of the show because it proves just how influential these deals are and HOW WONDERFULLY POTENT JUST BEING FEATURED ON A TELEVISION SHOW IS FOR YOUR COMPANY. These people are so grateful for their time on Shark Tank and the deals they've made, it's incredible. Plus, it reassures you that the investor is actually involved and it's not a ploy for television. Granted, they're probably not involved in day-to-day stuff, but they're the sort of silent hand pushing these people to greater success. 

Now, the world will become a better place because this snap-in is becoming it's own show!!!!!! ABC ordered ten- yes ten- hour-long episodes of what they're calling "Beyond the Tank". The program will be produced by the same team behind Shark Tank, including Sony and Mark Burnett, so the cohesion with Shark Tank and it's brand will be on point. Unfortunately, we can't plan a viewing party yet, as there has been no word on when the show will premiere. 

Either way, I'm eating an extra KitKat tonight in celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment